BreachExchange mailing list archives

PA: 80, 000 Mailers Sent Out With Recipients' Social Security Numbers In Plain View

From: kirniki <kirniki () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 20:55:28 -0500

http://www.wgal.com/news/21655737/detail.html

ELIZABETHTOWN, Pa. -- Check your mailbox. Thousands of Pennsylvanians
could become victims of identity theft just because a piece of mail
has been sent to their homes.

Right on the front of the piece of mail, in plain view, is the
recipient's Social Security number. Tens of thousands of Medicare
recipients may be at risk.

Delores and Frank Ember, of Elizabethtown, simply could not believe
what they found in their mailbox on Monday. Frank was the first to
notice a problem with the postcards they received.

"He said, 'Did you look at this?' I said, 'No.' He said, 'It's got my
Social Security number right above my name!'" said Delores Ember.

"I was really, really mad," said Frank.

The postcards were from the Universal American Action Network, a
subsidiary of Universal American Insurance.

News 8 contacted the company and we were told (read the company's
complete statement here) that 80,000 postcards with Social Security
numbers on them were sent out last Friday to Universal clients
throughout the country. More than 10,000 of them were mailed to
Medicare participants in Pennsylvania.
[..]