BreachExchange mailing list archives

232000 Military SSN exposed

From: Henry Brown <hbrown () knology net>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 05:34:28 -0600

http://www.stripes.com/article.asp?section=104&article=65799

The military is playing catch-up on a year-old complaint that hundreds
of thousands of officers’ Social Security numbers have been floating
around on the Internet.

In an October 2008 letter to the Defense Department and the Federal
Trade Commission, Public.Resource.org detailed its discovery of roughly
232,000 military officers’ Social Security numbers in government and
commercial databases, available to anyone with an Internet connection.

But his complaint, addressed to military Inspector General Gordon
Heddell, did not reach the Defense Privacy Office until August. The
office is now in the process of ensuring the numbers have been redacted,
both online and in print, director Samuel Jenkins said.

"We’re at the beginning stages of this," Jenkins said. "We’re taking
this very seriously and aggressively pursuing action."

Military officials could not explain why it took nearly a year to
address the complaint.