BreachExchange mailing list archives

Stolen Laptop Contained Insurance Customer Information

From: lyger <lyger () attrition org>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 05:50:17 +0000 (UTC)

(a bit old, but we report 'em as we get 'em...)

A New York Life Insurance Company agent's laptop, which contained the
private information of three New Hampshire customers, was stolen from his
car through a smashed window on July 28.

A report was filed with South Orange police, and the New Hampshire
Attorney General's Office was subsequently notified.

The agent hadn't installed encryption software on his laptop, which
contained data including the name, date of birth, Social Security number,
insurance policy number and policy information for the three affected
customers. They were notified of the security breach in a letter and given
instruction for enrolling in a credit monitoring service to be paid for by
the insurance company.

[...]