BreachExchange mailing list archives

NC: Medical Records Found In Dumpster

From: kirniki <kirniki () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 09:35:54 -0400

http://www.digtriad.com/news/most_popular/article.aspx?storyid=129134&provider=top

Greensboro, NC -- A 2 Wants to Know investigation found social
security numbers, copies of driver's licenses, and sensitive
information federal laws are supposed to protect, all unshredded in a
dumpster behind a building.

Gary Mcadoo brought the records to our attention when he walked up to
our station and had a bag full of medical files. He confronted WFMY
News 2's Ashley Smith and said, "Look what I found." He came to the
station to get help with all the files he found in the dumpster. He
told us there were hundreds more and brought us to a dumpster behind a
building at E. Cone and Summit. He then when into the dumpster and
pulled out the medical records by the stack full.

Hundreds of records containing personal information everything and
more a crook would need to steal your identity. The records in
question came from Battleground Urgent Care which is now Prompt Med.

Actually, we counted. It totals up to 623. We collected all the
records and took them back to the medical practice to get answers on
how they ended up tossed aside over five miles away.

[..]

The president of Prompt Med told us he didn't know the name the
company that was responsible for moving all these records. The person
in his office who handled that information is out on vacation. So, he
couldn't tell us how the most vital information, like social security
numbers, birthdates, driver license copies, medical history,
employers, everything about a person, ended up in a dumpster behind a
building.

[..]