BreachExchange mailing list archives

New Details, and Lessons, on Heartland Breach

From: security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 01:43:35 +0000 (UTC)

http://securosis.com/blog/new-details-and-lessons-on-heartland-breach

New Details, and Lessons, on Heartland Breach

Thanks to an anonymous reader, we may have some additional information on
how the Heartland breach occurred. Keep in mind that this isn't fully
validated information, but it does correlate with other information we've
received, including public statements by Heartland officials.

On Monday we correlated the Heatland breach with a joint FBI/USSS bulletin
that contained some in-depth details on the probable attack methodology.
In public statements (and private rumors) it's come out that Heartland was
likely breached via a regular corporate system, and that hole was then
leveraged to cross over to the better-protected transaction network.

According to our source, this is exactly what happened. SQL injection was
used to compromise a system outside the transaction processing network
segment. They used that toehold to start compromising vulnerable systems,
including workstations. One of these internal workstations was connected
by VPN to the transaction processing datacenter, which allowed them access
to the sensitive information. These details were provided in a private
meeting held by Heartland in Florida to discuss the breach with other
members of the payment industry.

[..]