BreachExchange mailing list archives

fringe: Elance Security Breach

From: security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 16:18:45 +0000 (UTC)

http://scrawlbug.com/2009/07/16/elance-security-breach/

Elance Security Breach
2009 July 16
by spikethelobster

exclaimJust a quick post with a warning from Elance. I received an email
from their customer service folks at an ungodly hour this morning, that
states (if I were to paraphrase) that the site has been hacked or attacked
in some way.

The email covers the basics, but doesnt include very much detail of
exactly what happened. It read as follows:

It has recently come to our attention that certain Elance user information
was accessed without authorization, including potentially yours. The data
accessed was contact information  specifically name, email address,
telephone number, city location and Elance username. This incident did not
involve any credit card, bank account, social security or tax ID numbers.

[..]