BreachExchange mailing list archives

TN: Doctors mistakenly fax patients' data to Indiana company

From: lyger <lyger () attrition org>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 11:20:26 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20090928/NEWS01/909280333/Doctors+mistakenly+fax+patients++data+to+Indiana+company

Doctors' offices in Tennessee have been accidentally sending patient
information, including Social Security numbers and medical histories, to
an Indiana businessman's fax machine for the past three years.

The sensitive medical information was supposed to be sent to the Tennessee
Department of Human Services, but Bill Keith, owner of SunRise Solar Inc.
in Indiana, says hundreds of confidential medical faxes having been coming
to him.

"This is a total breach of privacy," Keith said. "This is supposed to be
confidential, and it just so happens we have some scruples here and
wouldn't do anything with that information. We've shredded them, but you
can have a file an inch thick in no time.''

[...]