BreachExchange mailing list archives

NM: Housing Authority Investigates Misplaced Files

From: kirniki <kirniki () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 13:21:41 -0400

http://www.koat.com/news/21076652/detail.html

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. -- A New Mexico County is investigating, and making
changes after Action 7 News uncovered sensitive personal information
in public view.

"We didn't know about it until we saw it on the news this morning,"
said resident Fiddie Godinese.

Godinese was among the people who had their private information on
file with the Socorro County Housing Authority.

"What if they got all these numbers and they can go and steal your
money from the bank," Godinese said.

Godinese said she has those concerns after Action 7 News revealed
confidential records, about a decade old were reportedly left in a
dumpster.

"I take responsibility because when all is said and done it is my
responsibility," said Mary Ann Chavez.

Chavez is the executive director of the housing authority. Action 7
News alerted her to the Social Security numbers, financial information
and addresses left out in the open, near the housing authority office
after a concerned citizen, who did not want to be identified, brought
it to our attention.
[..]