BreachExchange mailing list archives

Oklahoma DHS warns of possible information leak after laptop stolen

From: lyger <lyger () attrition org>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 23:45:23 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.newsok.com/oklahoma-dhs-warns-of-possible-information-leak-after-laptop-stolen/article/3363863?custom_click=masthead_topten

Almost 500,000 households are receiving letters from the state Department
of Human Services notifying them their personal information may have been
contained on a laptop computer stolen from an agency employee earlier this
month.

DHS disclosed the potential breach today.

"The risk of the data being accessed is low because the computer uses a
password-protected system," said Director Howard H. Hendrick.
"Nevertheless, we have contacted our clients to inform them there is a
possibility their personal information may be viewed."

Information on the stolen computer included names, Social Security numbers
and dates of birth for people who receive DHS services, according to a
news release.

[...]