BreachExchange mailing list archives

Using Science to Combat Data Loss: Analyzing Breaches by Type and Industry

From: security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 18:40:09 +0000 (UTC)

http://web.interhack.com/publications/interhack-breach-taxonomy.pdf

Using Science to Combat Data Loss: Analyzing Breaches by Type and Industry
C. Matthew Curtin, CISSP and Lee T. Ayres, CISSP

Abstract

Where should defenses be deployed? Security managers can answer the
question by knowing what types of breaches there are, and the rates that
they occur relative to one another. A number of methods for determining
such rates have been proposed with a view to helping with this decision
making. Unfortunately, such methods sometimes tend towards anecdote, might
be part of a marketing campaign, or lack the context needed to drive
informed decisions.

We propose a taxonomy to classify incidents of the loss of control over
sensitive information. The taxonomy is hierarchical in nature, allowing
classification of incidents to a level of precision appropriate to the
amount of information available. Analysis of incidents using the taxonomy
may also work with the precision appropriate given the question at hand
and data available. We then explore the proportion of breach types in a
subset of data losses accumulated by the Identity Theft Resource Center
(ITRC). Using the 2002 North American Industry Classification System
(NAICS), we classify breach events according to the industry sector in
which they occurred.

We conclude that the taxonomy is useful and that analysis of incidents by
type and industry yields results that can be instructive to practitioners
who need to understand how and where breaches are actually occurring. For
example, the Health Care and Social Assistance sector reported a larger
than average proportion of lost and stolen computing hardware, but
reported an unusually low proportion of compromised hosts. Educational
Services reported a disproportionately large number of compromised hosts,
while insider conduct and lost and stolen hardware were well below the
proportion common to the set as a whole. Public Administrations proportion
of compromised host reports was below average, but their share of
processing errors was well above the norm. The Finance and Insurance
sector experienced the smallest overall proportion of processing errors,
but the highest proportion of insider misconduct. Other sectors showed no
statistically significant dif- ference from the average, either due to a
true lack of variance, or due to an insignificant number of samples for
the statistical tests being used.