BreachExchange mailing list archives

Disabled Veteran Receives Other Veterans’ Personal Data By Mistake

From: kirniki <kirniki () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 22:00:00 -0500

http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/39113492.html

WACO (February 4, 2009)--Just a week after the Veterans Affairs
Department agreed to pay $20 million to veterans for exposing them to
possible identity theft in 2006 by losing sensitive personal
information in a stolen laptop computer, a local veterans association
mistakenly sent out personal information about disabled veterans in
the mail.

Gerry Sparks, a disabled veteran, received a packet in the mail with
the application for her daughter's tuition benefits. At the bottom of
the packet, was a claims log that listed more than 20 veterans names,
social security numbers and medical claim information.

After looking at the page, Sparks said she realized she should not
have received that information.

"At first I didn't think much of it and then I was like, yeah it's got
everyone's social security number on it," Sparks said.

The top of the claims log is labeled "Texas Veterans Commission," but
neither the Commission nor the Veterans Affairs Regional Office is
sure who is to blame for the incident.

[..]