BreachExchange mailing list archives

Re: usajobs.gov Compromised (due to Monster)

From: Catalin Ghercoias <catalin.ghercoias () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 22:01:30 -0500

I apologize upfront for being blunt, but I've been reading these emails for
quite some time yet I have to see some action taken.
I have not heard or seen major action law suits or any other type of action
taken against the real people who are to be blamed for all these issues.
You know who I am talking about -- I am referring to all those incompetent
IT directors, sloppy IT Managers, good for nothing IT Operations
Managers/Directors, CIO/CTO politicians and last but not least system
administrators, programmers, coders, etc. who do not care about the security
of their applications. I am talking about those who decided at some point in
time not to encrypt the customer data, not to secure comunications with
their credit processor/bank, not to establish site to site or point to point
connections with their most sensitive sites and offices that carry sensitive
and confidential data, not to obey HIPAA, PCI, SOX, etcetera or ... you fill
in the blanks here......

These days there are so many solutions (free or not free) to secure and
encrypt the data to protect it from attackers -- be it inside or outside --
to block access to people that do not have a need to access sensitive data
or simply block a freakin' USB port, that I don't even need to mention here.

I would like to hear and see some names made public and some action taken
against those people and I'm sure there are others as well that would like
to see this.

I am saying this because I believe there are still smart people on this list
and elsewhere who can take charge and get things straight in this country.

I don't want to blame those people who do their jobs right, just I really
don't believe that these companies that got hacked recently and in the past
(like TJX) have changed anything in their systems (or very little) and the
same directors and managers are still in place getting big bonuses and
enjoying their vacation houses and boats, while average Joe and Jane has to
fight to clean his/her credit report because some hacker stole his identity
and they lost pretty much all they've had.

Let's get some justice done here people!
--
Regards,

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 8:08 PM, security curmudgeon