BreachExchange mailing list archives

Re: New Processor Breach?

From: macwheel99 () wowway com
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 17:04:37 -0600

News of breaches comes fast & furious ... Did you see that

{...}

 Forcht Bank, one of the 10 largest banks in Kentucky, told its customers it
would begin reissuing 8,500 debit cards after being informed by its own card
processor of a possible breach.

{...}

In a statement to Forcht Bank's customers, COO Tyronica Crutcher says that
the bank's debit card processor, STAR, informed the bank that a retail
merchant processor's information may have been compromised, and that some
unknown persons are possibly creating duplicate debit cards.

"According to STAR, there are several other banks affected, and this is not
isolated to Forcht Bank customers," says Crutcher.

Forcht Bank has 34 branches in 11 counties, with more than $1 billion in
assets.

http://www.bankinfosecurity.com/articles.php?art_id=1168

 David Shettler wrote
http://datalossdb.org/incident_highlights/21-new-processor-breach

Banks around the country are reportedly receiving warnings, and
perhaps even new lists of cards to replace. This is apparently
regarding another credit card processor, unrelated to Heartland
Payment Systems, having a significant breach.

OSF has received multiple tips from multiple sources, and has spoken
with the good people over at bankinfosecurity.com who have confirmed
they too are hearing the exact same thing.

From what we've heard, this second breach is significant in scale, but
we have not as of yet been told who the processor is.

Also, speaking of BankInfoSecurity.com, they've released an article
about three people being arrested for allegedly using credit cards
from the Heartland Breach. And also, their list grows of institutions
affected by the Heartland incident (they maintain a much more
comprehensive list than we did). Hats off!

We'll post more details as we become aware of them.

CREDANT Technologies, a leader in data security, offers advanced
data encryption solutions. Protect sensitive data on desktops,
laptops, smartphones and USB sticks transparently across your
enterprise to ensure regulatory compliance.
http://www.credant.com/stopdataloss

--
WOW! Homepage (http://www.wowway.com)