BreachExchange mailing list archives

Colemans unsecured donor database revealed on Wikileaks

From: security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 20:21:19 +0000 (UTC)

http://minnesotaindependent.com/28711/breaking-colemans-unsecured-donorbase-to-be-revealed-on-wikileaks

Breaking: Colemans unsecured donor database revealed on Wikileaks
By Paul Schmelzer 3/11/09 8:12 AM

In late January, allegations were leveled that former Sen. Norm Colemans
campaign faked the crash of its website, claiming droves of
disenfranchised voters brought down the server seeking info on whether
their votes were counted. While that charge hasnt been definitively
proven, the scrutiny by web enthusiasts exposed a bigger problem for the
campaign: an unprotected database that contained information on campaign
donors, including names, email and home addresses, credit card numbers and
the three-digit security codes. On Tuesday, donors received an email from
the website Wikileaks alerting them that the site has revealed some of the
database information.

We understand that Norm Coleman became aware of the leak in January, the
note reads, in part.

A link to the original database was posted in comments at the Minnesota
Independent and MNPublius on January 28. I contacted the campaign then
about the site crash, but never got a response.

[..]