BreachExchange mailing list archives

dumpster diving in San Antonio TX

From: Henry Brown <hbrown () knology net>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 10:57:26 -0500

 From WOAI.com

http://tinyurl.com/6pz25e

The News 4 Trouble Shooters found a gold mine at a local drug treatment
center.

Hundreds of private, personal records thrown out with the trash.
Information that, by law, must be protected.

A tip led the Trouble Shooters to the dumpster behind Treatment
Associates, located at 701 San Pedro, near downtown.

We pulled out more than 40 file folders with private drug treatment
records. Records detailing medical histories of clients with diseases
and drug addictions.

We also found documents showing sexual abuse and information needed to
steal someones' identity, like social security numbers.

"The concern of course is that this information was released," said Mary
Walker, the spokesperson for Child Protective Services. Walker says she
is troubled that CPS records with such personal information were just
thrown out in the trash.

"This causes us serious concern, what you've shown us are records that
have very private information in them, records that are confidential and
certainly nothing that we would release," said Walker.