BreachExchange mailing list archives

Re: Fringe: e-banking not yet secure

From: macwheel99 () wowway com
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 00:14:53 -0500

Here is link to "Analyzing Web sites for user-visible security design flaws"
by 3 authors: The professor & 2 graduate students.
http://cups.cs.cmu.edu/soups/2008/proceedings/p117Falk.pdf

The financial institutions that they studied
http://www.eecs.umich.edu/laura/webusability/websites.html

This paper is to be presented at the Symposium on Usable Privacy and
Security (SOUPS) meeting at Carnegie Mellon University July 25.
http://cups.cs.cmu.edu/soups/2008/

According to this other article, the study was done in 2006. Presumably (we
would hope) some of the financial institutions have since upgraded their
sites. http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2008-07/uom-sfi072208.php

Relevant links here. http://news.yahoo.com/s/cmp/209600041

I originally saw the link on e-com sec & thought it also belonged on Data
Loss, and Linked-In's Security before Implementation (I have not yet posted
it there). http://packetfocus.com/proactive/index.php

Al Macintyre
Jack of all trades, master of some

security curmudgeon wrote
ISN posted the article as well, cross-posting my reply.

: Security flaws plague majority of e-banking sites
: http://www.finextra.com/fullstory.asp?id=18764
:
: Over 75% of banking Web sites contain fundamental design flaws
that : could put customers at risk from cyber thieves, according to
a study (of : 214 bank web sites)conducted by researchers at the
University of : Michigan.

Unfortunately, all I can find are articles mentioning the study. It
still isn't available on Atul Prakash's home page [1]. Since all we
have to go on right now are sound bytes and brief summaries, it is
very easy to tear large holes in the results. I encourage Prakash
and his team to make the original research more readily available.

: The flaws are not bugs that can be easily fixed with a patch, but
are : systemic, stemming from the flow and layout of the sites.

The flaws are often very easy to fix, and do not require much
work from the bank.

: 47% placed secure login boxes on insecure pages.

While a bad practice, this doesn't translate to "attackers can get
access to customer information" necessarily. "He says this allows
hackers to re-route data entered in the boxes or create a spoof page
to harvest information." First, to re-route data entered in the
boxes relies on something more than a mixed HTTP/S page. Exploiting
cross-frame scripting in some browsers would be a good idea, but
that can be blocked regardless of the page being served over SSL.
Second, bad guys can spoof pages regardless of the presence of SSL,
 yet Prakash suggests otherwise.

"Prakash says in a wireless situation, it's possible to conduct this
man-in-the-middle attack without changing the bank URL for the user,
so even a vigilant customer could fall victim."

Certainly a risk, but the amount of customers accessing their bank
over unsecured wireless are probably very minimal and changes the
requirements of exploitation considerably.

: 55% put contact information and security advice on insecure pages.

Again, having a static /contact.html on the legitimate domain, not
served over SSL is not a vulnerability, and does not lead to
customers being at risk from "hackers getting access to customer
information". The summary and introduction to the article is poorly
worded and misleading.

: Some banks use social security numbers or e-mail addresses as user
IDs.

This is definitely a bad practice and commonly seen, but this is
half of the information needed to authenticate. Brute forcing a list
of login IDs is time consuming, brute forcing valid passwords for
them on top of that is very time consuming. There are certainly
controls that can be put in place to make harvesting attacks more
costly, regardless of the login name scheme.

: 28% don't state a policy on passwords, or allow weak passwords.

Yes, they should state their policy, but how many of the 28% don't
state the policy yet enforce a relatively strong one? This number is
a poor metric.

I have a hard time believing that Prakash and his team got
permission to test 214 bank web sites. If they did, it was still
done without authentication based on the results in the article. The
few results they do have are not near the risk implied by the
summary wording or have caveats on exploitation. None of them are
real eye-openers as each one would likely result in the compromise
of a handful of accounts. While certainly bad, that is insignificant
compared to an SQL injection or privilege escalation attack that
allowed cross-user information disclosure
(or manipulation).

All said and done, this research is quite limp so far.

- jericho