BreachExchange mailing list archives

Every Click You Make

From: Richard Forno <rforno () infowarrior org>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 07:55:12 -0400

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/03/AR2008040304
052.html?hpid=topnews

Every Click You Make
Internet Providers Quietly Test Expanded Tracking of Web Use to Target
Advertising

Two juicy nuggets from this article as my caffeine-deprived on-the-road mind
read through this article:

"I don't view it as violating any privacy data at all," said Anthony Palermo,
vice present of marketing at Knology. "My understanding is that all these
companies go through great pains to hash out information that is specific to
the consumer."

Wait...so it's NOT privacy violation if a company tries to send you
targetted ads based on your online acdtivity?  What kind of dope is this guy
smoking????

Knology customers, for example, cull the company's 27-page customer service
agreement or its terms and condition for service to find a vague reference to
its tracking system.

Yep, how's that for being pro-consumer?  Oh, right -- they're pro-profit
first and foremost.  I forgot.  :(

-rick