BreachExchange mailing list archives

NC: WCU ID security breached

From: lyger <lyger () attrition org>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 15:31:15 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080323/NEWS01/80322062

The news arrived by mail, and it was unsettling.

Someone had hacked into a computer and had access to the Social Security
numbers of 555 graduates of Western Carolina University who had signed up
for a newsletter.

[.]

The compromised information was on a computer server managed by the
Department of Business Computer Information Systems and Economics. And it
was hacked several times, as long ago as 2006, said Bil Stahl, chief
information officer at WCU.

"We know the data was taken off the server, but we don.t have any evidence
that their data was used," he said.

Social Security numbers were included in the stolen information because up
until last fall, campuses in the University of North Carolina system could
use those digits as student identification numbers. While the practice was
stopped then, old data on servers remains vulnerable.

[...]