BreachExchange mailing list archives

Re: rant: Abandon Ship! Data Loss Ahoy!

From: macadamiamac <macadamiamac () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 15:15:23 -1000

A Qualsys (a good system) - or equivalent installation, insurance and whatever other components a business may implement to protect its PII data is not a set it and forget it procedure. Kryptonite proof it ain't. No system is 100% immune from all risk. A savvy CTSO, with the cooperation and support of senior management will implement all of the components: training its personnel, hard and software firewalls, changing passwords periodically, encrypting data in use, purging data no longer needed, periodic random testing of the system, and whatever else to reduce risk of data loss - internal and external. An even smarter management team will have all of the foregoing incorporated into its culture and have on deck 1)a breach management plan; 2)notification and PR templates; 3) a recovery plan; and, 4) a re$erve or insurance.

There are federal regulations - [see FTC 12 CFR ยง 315 et. seq. of the FACT Act], becoming effective in November 2008 that mandate that financial institutions, their providers and anyone else who deals with consumer credit (and the PII data necessary to conduct their business), implement a host of must dos or face penalties.

        A not in compliance business that suffers a breach will be subject to:
* Civil Liability - Actual damages sustained if identity is stolen as a result of corporate inaction or statutory damages up to $1,000 per affected individual; * Class-Action Lawsuits - If large numbers of individuals are affected, they may be able to bring class-action suits and get punitive damages; * Federal Fines - Up to $2,500 for each violation; and * State Fines - Up to $1,000 for each violation depending upon jurisdiction.

        So maybe a little insurance isn't such a bad idea, n'est pas?

Sanford Lung
Honolulu  (yes, there are ID fraudsters in paradise)
http://www.identitysafeguards.com

Whoops, wrote too soon:

http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/news/article/0,289142,sid14_gci1306207,
00.html
(Thanks to a student post for pointing this out.)