BreachExchange mailing list archives

Re: Consumers of Hannaford Brothers Co. SupermarketsFile Class Action Suit

From: "Jamie C. Pole" <jpole () jcpa com>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 22:05:05 -0400

Agreed, but many of the 4.2 million compromised card numbers will be
re-issued anyway.  Even if there was no fraudulent actvity associated
with the account.  There is most definitely a cost associated with
those re-issues, and I can promise that Hannaford (and any other party
involved in the breach) will be made to bear much, if not all of that
cost.

My original point was that this was not a simple case of some script
kiddie (maybe Mitnick is having a relapse?) accidentally breaching a
system with a poor security posture.  Most of those cases never result
in financial fraud because the perpetrator either didn't realize what
he/she accessed, or just wasn't looking for credit card numbers.

This case is different because there have already been cases of
financial fraud with credit card numbers stolen from Hannaford.

And I FIRMLY believe that whatever organization signed off on
Hannaford's PCI compliance bears part of the responsibility.

Jamie