BreachExchange mailing list archives

Re: rant: Abandon Ship! Data Loss Ahoy!

From: "Jamie C. Pole" <jpole () jcpa com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 21:56:36 -0400

Yup.  And does anyone doubt that a company using Qualys would be in
the same boat?

All of these vendors that sell non-functioning crapware are seriously
damaging the efficacy of online commerce moving forward.  They sell a
false sense of security.  Nothing more.  PCI compliance in a box?
Yeah, right...

Then again, Visa is also very much to blame.  Until Visa gets serious
about PCI compliance and starts certifying expert security
practitioners, rather than clueless companies with big checkbooks,
this is just going to keep happening over and over again.  Visa should
be paying expert security practitioners to do PCI compliance
assessments, rather than having the big consulting companies pay THEM
for the privilege of saying they are certified to conduct PCI
assessments.

All of these automated vulnerability assessment processes achieve the
same result - they identify only the lowest of the low-hanging fruit.
Automated tools might identify the exposures that script kiddies are
looking for, but they most certainly can't identify the exposures that
motivated and competent hackers are looking for.  Show me an automated
tool that can identify vulnerabilities that are contingent on the
successful exploit of other vulnerabilities, and I just might change
my mind.  I'm not going to hold my breath, because companies are too
wrapped up in buying automated scans for $19.99 per host.  As we can
see, they always get exactly what they pay for.  What exactly do they
think they are buying??

What's even worse is that there are "security consultants" running
around telling the world that they base their entire vulnerability
assessment offering on some of these useless tools.

Oh, well...

Jamie