BreachExchange mailing list archives

Call to Arms: In Search of Bigger DLDOS

From: lyger <lyger () attrition org>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 07:18:04 +0000 (UTC)

http://attrition.org/news/content/08-03-15.001.html

Call to Arms: In Search of Bigger DLDOS
Sat Mar 15 00:02:11 EST 2008
Lyger

Over the past few months, Attrition.org has received numerous requests
about enhancements to the Data Loss Database - Open Source (DLDOS). As
much as we would like to accomodate every request and provide a more
complete and more accurate data set, just as the Open Source Vulnerability
Database strives for the same goal, sometimes the resources "just aren't
there". We generally receive suggestions via email and ponder them while
adding new events and updating archived ones, but we had to ask ourselves,
"how much can we really do on our own?".

The Data Loss Mail List currently has over 1,200 active subscribers and we
feel that it has been a valuable source of information regarding data loss
events, legislative matters, and technical discussion. With that in mind,
it's sometimes frustrating knowing that we could enhance and improve upon
the current data set, but simply don't have the time to manage all of it
ourselves. So, all of a sudden, *light bulb* - why not ask for a little
help? Why not make the database more of a "community project"? Why not
have anyone offer suggestions, submit changes, and we can incorporate
those changes if they meet general (and informal) standards?

Actually, that's what we wanted (and suggested) in the first place.
However, much like OSVDB, that hasn't happened.

So, instead of just mailing us with ideas for new columns, criteria, and
specific field updates, we want to invite everyone to download the current
database (which generally updates at least five or six times a week), make
changes, and send it back to us with a quick note as to what was changed
and why it was changed.

[...]