BreachExchange mailing list archives

MT: MSU computers hacked

From: lyger <lyger () attrition org>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 07:55:30 +0000 (UTC)

http://newbillingsoutpost.com/news//index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=19799&Itemid=27

Montana State University security experts have determined that an unknown
hacker remotely accessed a computer server that housed records containing
credit card numbers and social security numbers of students who enrolled
online for MSU Extended University courses during the last two years.

The data in question were encrypted, and there is no evidence that
personal information was stolen. However, the Extended University is
sending information by mail to 1,400 people known to have personal
information on the server. The letter includes information on how to
receive a free credit report, flag a credit file with a fraud alert and
monitor accounts for suspicious activity.

"Even though we don't believe any data was stolen, we are treating this as
a serious situation and want to alert these students to the possibility
that they were affected,. said Cathy Conover, MSU spokesperson.

[...]