BreachExchange mailing list archives

AU: Visa confirms data tapes theft

From: d2d <d2d () attrition org>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 20:07:12 +0000 (UTC)

courtesy pogowasright.org

http://www.thesheet.com/nl05_news_selected.php?act=2&stream=1&selkey=2309&hlc=2&hlw=

Visa has confirmed that recent mass credit-card account cancellations at
Westpac are related to a data tape theft in late May.

But just which payment gateway or third party vendor lost the tapes
remains a mystery. So too does the extent of the security breach and how
many card accounts have been affected.

Pauline Hayes, corporate relations manager at Visa International -
Australia and New Zealand confirmed the data tape theft to eCommerce
Report by email earlier this week.

I outlined, an investigation into the theft of data tapes on May 25 is
ongoing and therefore we cannot comment further on this matter."

[...]