BreachExchange mailing list archives

UT: College puts private info on Net

From: MKEVHILL () aol com
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 09:40:32 EDT

_http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,690192561,00.html_
(http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,690192561,00.html)

Barb, who asked that her last name not be used, frequently types her name
into a search engine on the Internet to see where it might show up. It's one way
 to safeguard against identity theft.
What she found  earlier this month shocked her.
Barb, a Westminster  College alumna, found her name and the names of about
100 other students, former  and current, printed in two files along with each
student's Social Security  number.
"It was very alarming," she said.
The files were on a student Web server used by Westminster  students. The
server is provided as a service by the college mostly for students  to store
items such as class projects.
When Westminster  was made aware of the situation, school executive director
of communications  Laura Murphy said the files were removed immediately.

The college says it has taken several steps to remedy the situation and to
determine what happened so there's no chance of a repeat.
Although the investigation was still continuing Saturday, Murphy said it
appeared initially the posting of the Social Security numbers was the result of
someone's innocent mistake. She also noted the files were not in an area
easily  accessible by non-students, she said.
However, she said  the situation was being taken seriously.
"We regret any  inconvenience this may cause. We will do our best to make
sure that information  is safe-guarded," she said. "It's information that needs
to be held in  trust."
Murphy did not know how long that information  may have been posted.
Furthermore, she said all of the  students on the list had been contacted and
Westminster had agreed to pay for  credit monitoring to make sure no one
obtained critical personal information and  was trying to use it.
As of Saturday there had been no  reports of any of the information from the
students on that list being  compromised.

Mike