BreachExchange mailing list archives

Security breach hits online brokerage

From: security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 08:35:06 +0000 (UTC)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20070828.RTRADEFREEDOM28/TPStory/Business

By Roma Luciw
August 28, 2007

Online broker TradeFreedom Securities Inc. has quietly notified an
unidentified number of its customers that a computer security breach has
compromised some of their personal information, potentially exposing them
to fraud.

In what it described as a follow-up to an Aug. 17 notice to clients, it
said in a Friday e-mail that it had finished its investigation into the
"recent unauthorized intrusion" of one of its computer systems.

"We have subsequently determined that, despite our security systems in
place at the time, this unauthorized intrusion has also resulted in the
compromise of some of your personal information," TradeFreedom said. "This
information is your name, social insurance number, city, province and
postal code."

Citing a continuing police investigation by the Sret du Qubec,
TradeFreedom president Bruce Seago said he could not release any details
about the nature or timing of the computer security breach.

[..]