BreachExchange mailing list archives

Exposing personal data to meth-heads

From: Dennis Opacki <dopacki () adotout com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 10:56:57 -0700

I had a humbling experience this weekend that got me thinking about
data security; I purchased a box of Sudafed at a Seattle pharmacy. Of
course, given its connection to methamphetamine abuse, this
"dangerous drug" is no longer available to casual shoppers. Instead,
I selected from the pharmacy shelf, a card that resembled the box I
wanted to purchase. I presented this card to the pharmacist.

She asked to see my state driver's license and reached for a thick
logbook sitting on the counter. The logbook contained roughly 100
pages of identical tables. Each page had close to 20 rows. The
pharmacist proceeded to copy my name, address, driver's license
number and license expiration date into a fresh row on the partially
populated page. She then asked me to sign to record. Examining the
log, I found a cautionary message detailing the penalties I could
expect upon entering false data, but not a word about how my data
would be handled and protected, or to whom they will be disclosed.

What struck me as particularly dangerous about this process is recent
media attention of a correlation between methamphetamine abuse and
identity theft[1]. Here is a logbook full of juicy personal data, and
the authorities insist that people, whom they suspect are drug
abusers, view a dozen or so identity records when purchasing the raw
materials for their next batch. How hard would it be for an
individual to memorize the record above, or simply run out the door
with the entire logbook? Whom does this process serve?

-Dennis

[1] http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4460349/