BreachExchange mailing list archives

UK: Standard Life customers are hit by breach in security

From: lyger <lyger () attrition org>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 00:58:09 +0000 (UTC)

(good thing they didn't have only 600 customers... a 50% impact rate would
have looked a lot worse in the media...)

http://news.scotsman.com/uk.cfm?id=716812007

STANDARD Life has admitted that up to 300 customers may have been affected
by a security breach in which personal information was sent to others by
mistake.

The blunder, described as a "one-off error" in its information systems,
caused some customers to receive policy documents meant for others. It is
the latest in a series of data protection breaches by big companies.

[...]

"Less than 0.2 per cent of our valued investors have been impacted by
this. We have acted swiftly to make investors aware of the error."

A letter explaining the error was sent to hundreds of customers over the
weekend.

It is thought to have affected people recently applying for new ISA
policies and the data included names, addresses and policy numbers but not
personal financial information, such as income or tax codes.

[...]