BreachExchange mailing list archives

IL: Data about 139 officers left on donated computer

From: lyger <lyger () attrition org>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 19:10:06 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/2007/05/01/data_about__officers_left_on_donated

Names and Social Security numbers for 139 Champaign police officers were
left on a computer donated to charity.

The city notified those in the database that their personal information
may have been unintentionally released, but city staff members do not
believe the data was compromised, according to Information Technologies
Director Fred Halenar.

A computer from the police department contained the data, he said.

Last year, the city donated 50 computers. Of those, five were donated to
the Champaign Consortium, including the one in question. Halenar said the
concern was, "Even though we don't think (the personal information) was
compromised, we still must take measures to see it doesn't happen again.

[...]