BreachExchange mailing list archives

KHPA informing consumers of an alleged loss of data CD

From: Dissent <Dissent () pogowasright org>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 20:08:25 -0400

Sounds more like data misplacement than loss, and wouldn't post it to
DL at this time, unless you want to...?  Giving you the whole
article, because as I read it, it seems like overkill...?  Don't even
have numbers...

http://www.49abcnews.com/news/2007/mar/23/khpa_informing_consumers_alleged_loss_data_cd/

The Kansas Health Policy Authority (KHPA) began notifying a small
number of individuals that a computer disk containing information
about their health records and identity may have been lost within the
agency. A letter sent to the affected individuals should be received
in the mail Friday.

The password-protected disk was mailed to the KHPA by a company that
helps process information about people receiving benefits. KHPA did
receive the package with the disk, but the disk did not reach the
person who was supposed to receive it. There is no evidence that the
disk went beyond our office, the password was broken, or any
information was taken off the disk.

"The security of our customers' personal information is a serious
matter and of the utmost concern to KHPA. We will continue to
investigate this incident, and we have begun to further strengthen
our standards of security," said Marci Nielsen, PhD, MPH, Executive
Director of KHPA. "At this point, we have no reason to believe the CD
has been taken for anyone's personal gain through use of the personal
information contained on the CD."

The KHPA's offices are secure. Employees and visitors must enter with
a pass key or pass by a receptionist. Visitors are always escorted.

KHPA is taking every step to ensure that individuals' information is
kept private and is not compromised Friday and in the future. KHPA
has conducted its own investigation, and as a result, is changing how
it manages mail and other processes. Even though KHPA has a privacy
officer, the agency will hire an additional person to help protect
the privacy and security of customers' information.

"The Board's Executive Committee was informed of this issue once we
became aware of the situation. As an added precaution, I asked the
Kansas Attorney General and the Kansas Bureau of Investigation to
conduct an investigation. Their findings support our belief that the
disk has been lost within the agency, and it is nothing more than
simple human error," said Nielsen.

Although KHPA does not believe someone outside the office has gained
access to the information on the disk, the letter sent to individuals
today includes steps as to what they can do to protect their private
health and identity information.

For individuals who have been affected by this lost data disk, a
support line has been established at 785.296.3981. As a precaution,
individuals who call for additional information will be asked to
provide the customer identification number listed on the letter.

--
Main site: http://www.pogowasright.org
Main RSS feed: http://www.pogowasright.org/backend/pogowasright.rss