BreachExchange mailing list archives

Re: (article) "We recovered the laptop!" ... so what?

From: Chris Walsh <cwalsh () cwalsh org>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 09:49:17 -0600

The laptop and the passphrase are in the same laptop bag, which is
stolen.

Game Over.

That is why a good law will require that the key not be lost, and
(more generally) will set a key management floor, as well as
specifying which encryption methods are approved, and saying that
encryption is safe harbor only for instances of physical theft of the
device.  No current state laws do these things, IIRC.  Only one of
them even *defines* encryption, and they (Nevada) do it horribly wrong.