BreachExchange mailing list archives

Re: [follow-up] Boeing fires employee whose laptop was stolen

From: blitz <blitz () strikenet kicks-ass net>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 13:46:49 -0500

A moot point to the corporate mindset, the question they should need to be asking themselves, is "Can I afford 5 years in prison and a $100,000 fine" for NOT using best of breed technology to secure PII data. Can I PROVE due dilligance in a court of law? Corporate clones only care about the bottom line, the effects of their misdeeds or incompetence is imaterial without teeth. They don't give a rat's rectum about the effects on anyone but themselves. Bad PR blows over. Thus we have to make the possibility of them getting VERY screwed over VERY real, or few will take it seriously. The lack of what happened to the "fired employee's" BOSS is the salient point here, they found a sacrificial lamb, oh well....the corporate policy on security etc. is what merits public scrutny. THAT's managerial and missing from the story. When we find mid-level managers going to a jail cell, then the problem MIGHT be taken seriously.

Follow-up questions could focus on determining if the company is even
aware of the costs to the consumer who is a victim of identity theft. I
personally have found my best success at penetrating the corporate
bureaucratic mindset is when I can make the employee think of himself as
the victim of the theft.

It's really important to try to understand the motivations of the entire
team, and what their goals are.  Understanding  what the employees are
trying do is important, but understanding why they are trying do it sure
makes security a lot easier to design & implement.

Andy Dail
Sunoco PCI Project Manager