BreachExchange mailing list archives

Re: [follow-up] Boeing fires employee whose laptop wasstolen

From: "Kim Zetter" <kzetter () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 12:14:16 -0800

You don't really need to speak with the company's tech expert. Just
include a countering quote from a security expert who says that what
the pr expert is saying is bunk. Once you start debunking the pr
statements in your articles other reporters will follow suit. At least
that's what happened when I started covering Diebold and evoting. Kim
Nash is right that mainstream reporters don't know what questions to
ask when it comes to tech issues, but if tech reporters do their job
correctly, other reporters will learn from this and start finding the
right sources to interview for their pieces.