BreachExchange mailing list archives

Re: Office of Management and Budget: 'People are losing data'

From: "B.K. DeLong" <bkdelong () pobox com>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 08:45:37 -0500

Yup - time for another FOI request it sounds like. I almost feel bad
for the VA though. They're getting slammed.

On 11/3/06, Al Mac <macwheel99 () sigecom net> wrote:
Apparently they were reported to the OMB.
Time for a FOI request there?

We have seen from many past GOV reports that for many scenarios, there is
no legal mandate to report the incident, except in secret to some other GOV
agency.

Many US states have no breach laws yet.  (30 something do)
Many of those that do, exempt gov agencies, non-profits, private
individuals, data that was encrypted.

So...what are the loopholes?  Why are incidents not being reported?

Tracking more than 140 million compromised records in 455 incidents over 6 years.

--
B.K. DeLong (K3GRN)
bkdelong () pobox com

http://www.wkdelong.org                    Son.
http://www.ianetsec.com                    Work.
http://www.bostonredcross.org             Volunteer.
http://www.carolingia.eastkingdom.org   Service.
http://bkdelong.livejournal.com             Play.

PGP Fingerprint:
38D4 D4D4 5819 8667 DFD5  A62D AF61 15FF 297D 67FE

FOAF:
http://foaf.brain-stream.org