BreachExchange mailing list archives

Re: North Carolina - EMS patient data is stolen

From: World Privacy Forum <info2006 () worldprivacyforum org>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 09:13:04 -0700

The ambulance company probably has a business associate agreement with
one or more health care providers, so they are probably a covered
entity under HIPAA. What is disturbing about these cases where medical
information is specifically targeted is that the folks making the
breach notifications are not giving consumers proper warnings about the
medical aspects of identity theft. For example, these breach victims
should be specifically checking their insurance company payouts even
more than their credit report.

We published a report on medical identity theft in May, and have just
published a detailed FAQ for victims. The harms for medical identity
theft can be profound and challenging for victims to uncover and
resolve: <http://www.worldprivacyforum.org/medicalidentitytheft.html>.

--Pam Dixon