BreachExchange mailing list archives

Re: Financial Firms Losing Data

From: "B.K. DeLong" <bkdelong () pobox com>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 10:53:52 -0700

Nice job, Chris. I thought that I've seen more re: stolen laptops than
digital break-ins.

On 9/26/06, lyger <lyger () attrition org> wrote:

(Since I know Chris wouldn't do this himself...) ;)

http://www.darkreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=104574&f_src=darkreading_section_296

SEPTEMBER 26, 2006

Which would be more likely to suffer data theft, a university or financial
institution?

If you've been reading the news lately, you probably said "university."
But in New York, it's a different story. Nearly half of the 64 data breach
incidents reported in the state between March and May of this year were by
financial institutions and insurance companies -- not educational
institutions, according to a researcher who's gathering the data. Only
three of the 64 incidents were reported by schools, he says.

Interestingly, most of the financial institutions' breaches weren't driven
by hackers, says Chris Walsh, an information security architect who is
independently researching breach trends using data from New York. "About
two thirds of them reported a lost computer, and that's not counting lost
tapes."

[...]
Tracking more than 146 million compromised records in 366 incidents over 6
years.