BreachExchange mailing list archives

NY State Senate OK's bills to combat identity theft

From: lyger <lyger () attrition org>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 18:19:48 -0400 (EDT)

From: blitz <blitz () strikenet kicks-ass net>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 18:04:43 -0400
Subject: NY State Senate OK's bills to combat identity theft

Like I say, we ARE working with them to get good legislation going:

From the Buffalo, NY NEWS,5/18/06

ALBANY
State Senate OKs bills to combat identity theft

ALBANY (AP) - The State
Senate on Wednesday gave final
legislative approval to three bills
designed to combat identity theft.
One bill would allow private companies, nonprofit groups and the state attorney general to bring civil actions against "phishing" scam artists. Phishing refers to e-mails that appear to come from banks or other businesses and are used to induce recipients to verify their accounts by typing personal de-tails, such as credit card or bank account information, into a Web site disguised to appear legitimate. The second measure would allow residents to freeze their credit files, blocking access to consumer credit reports and preventing
identity thieves from taking out new loans and credit.
Consumers who place a security freeze would be provided a password to give to credit report?ing agencies each time they want to allow access to their credit in-formation. The third bills mandates the proper disposal or de?struction of records containing private information.
The bill now go to Gov. George E. Pataki.