BreachExchange mailing list archives

Re: FBI announces VA laptop recovery

From: blitz <blitz () strikenet kicks-ass net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 12:22:50 -0400

We just had this discussion on another list...he could of taken the drive out, copied/mirrored it, replaced it and returned the laptop for the reward. No files would of been changed, and the heat could die down. Next you know, the Russian credit-card mob would pay him $10-15,000 for the names, so:

$25,000 for returning it
$15,000 for selling the data
----------
$40,000  not a bad weeks work....

At 14:03 6/29/2006, you wrote:
On Thu, June 29, 2006 11:45, Richard Forno forwarded:

> DEPARTMENT OF VETERANS AFFAIRS OFFICE OF INSPECTOR GENERAL (OIG), THE
> FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION, AND MONTGOMERY COUNTY POLICE DEPARTMENT
> ANNOUNCE THE RECOVERY OF THE STOLEN LAPTOP AND EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE
[...]
> A preliminary review of the equipment by computer forensic teams has
> determined that the data base remains intact and has not been accessed
> since
> it was stolen.

OK, somebody has to be asking: how would they know the data haven't been
accessed?  Especially on an external drive.
--
Roy M. Silvernail is roy () rant-central com
"Antelope freeway, one sixty-fourth of a mile." - TFT

--
believed to be clean.

--
believed to be clean.