Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Yawps from the rooftops

From: Dave Aitel via Dailydave <dailydave () lists aitelfoundation org>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2023 15:25:28 -0400

So I can't help but notice MOVEit, an "old enterprise file sharing system"
is getting a ton of press
<https://techcrunch.com/2023/06/05/microsoft-clop-moveit-hacks-victims/>,
after ransomware crews found/bought an 0day and then went hog wild. I mean
this is the sort of thing only predictable if you listen to Risky Biz or
the invite-only more hardcore uncensored podcast "Risky Life", where there
are whole episodes devoted to the hilarity that is the machine learning
world still passing Python pickle files around like it's 1999, or the
software distribution channels being so broken for nearly everything that
PyPI itself had to just "stop accepting new stuff
<https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/pypi-temporarily-pauses-new-users-projects-amid-high-volume-of-malware/>"
because security wasn't so much an afterthought as an anti-pattern, and
"Cthulhu help you" if you used NPM.

Any alien species coming to Earth would take one look at our technology
ecosystems and just shake their head-appendage and say "You LIVE like
this?" with the same tone of voice Marie Kondo has walking into a hoarder's
kitchen, "Let me get this straight - at your biggest, most professional
companies, you can correctly patch a bug only 50% of the time?"

I love this for us. I love the chaos and the self-aggrandizement, and the
shared helplessness and in the face of that, the misplaced optimism and
hope, the "Advisories" and "Alerts" and "Reporting". It's not that we can't
do better, it's just that if doing better requires that we don't take
ourselves so seriously, we just won't.

-dave