Dailydave mailing list archives

Performance thoughts

From: Dave Aitel via Dailydave <dailydave () lists aitelfoundation org>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2023 11:47:55 -0400

So my first thought is that performance measurement tools seem exactly
aimed at a lot of security problems but performance people are extremely
reluctant <https://aus.social/@brendangregg/110276319669838295> to admit
that because of the drama involved in the security market. Which is very
smart of them! :)

Secondly, I wanted to re-link to Halvar's QCon keynote
<https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1wOT5kOWkQybVTHzB7uLXpU39ctYzXpOs2xVyD4zuYXY/edit#>.
He has a section on the difficulties of getting good performance
benchmarks, which typically you would do as part of your build chain. So in
theory, you have a lot of compilation features you can twiddle when
compiling and you want to change those values, compile your program, and
get a number for how fast it is. But this turns out to basically be
impossible in the real world for reasons I'll let him explain in his
presentation (see below).

[image: image.png]

A lot of these problems with performance seem only solvable by a continuous
process of evolutionary algorithms - where you have a population of
different compilation variables, and you probably introduce new ones over
time, and you kill off the cloud VMs where you're getting terrible
performance under real-world situations and let the ones getting good or
average performance thrive.

I'm sure this is being done, and probably if I listened to more of Dino dai
Zovi's talks I'd know where and how, but aside from having performance
implications, it also has security implications because it will tend
towards offering offensive implants value for becoming less parasitic and
more symbiotic.

-dave