Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Defcon 30

From: Thomas Quinlan via Dailydave <dailydave () lists aitelfoundation org>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2022 10:35:07 +0100

Hey Dave,

More and more, I think it’s to prepare things for the next generation. It’s easy to think that way when the 7 y/o boy
who seems to have budded from me (with only some of his mother’s characteristics) is listening to a Stairway to Heaven
Cover (by FirstToEleven) while coding in Scratch on an iPad I couldn’t have dreamed of as a child (though I started at
on computers 6 myself, some forty plus years ago), but we have an immense opportunity to do things right. I had a
conversation earlier with a Norwegian sales guy about how we got to where we are today, and once you put aside all the
marketing fluff we all have to slog through daily, the realisation that security wasn’t always built into things to
begin with means that when we modify or create things today, we can do it right. This, to me, is what’s next. It’s not
a point in time thing, either, but more of a continuum. (Apparently we’ll also have to do the same things on Mars soon,
but that’s a conversation for another time.)

Tom