Dailydave mailing list archives

Web Hacking and CVSS

From: Dave Aitel <dave.aitel () cyxtera com>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2019 14:56:35 +0000

A lot of the trainings at INFILTRATE<http://infiltratecon.com/training/> have sold out (and we are going to be sold out
of Tier 2 Tickets soon as well), but one that is not sold out, and yet is my favorite, is the Web Hacking class. The
thing we realized a million years ago when we started doing trainings, is that the only thing that works is hands on
exercises, so the whole class is basically a guided CTF.

This brings me to CVSS. You may remember from our previous thread that I wondered whether the official examples for
CVSS 3.0 could properly, or not, score a vuln via CVSS. The answer is, I think, “No” for two different reasons.

  1.  You can’t score CVSS for a XSS bug without spending a lot of time understanding the vulnerability, including
building a test lab and working through all the details.
  2.  People misunderstand how to score the criticality of any given XSS because most people do not understand the
impact of XSS in general

You can read the original FIRST.org report
here<https://www.first.org/cvss/examples#1-phpMyAdmin-Reflected-Cross-site-Scripting-Vulnerability-CVE-2013-1937> and
then our follow-on blogpost here<https://immunityservices.blogspot.com/2019/02/cvss.html> – feel free to skip to the
end. Note that the ACTUAL CVSS 3.0 score for the bug is not 6.1, but 0. But even under the assumptions FIRST.org was
making, the value WOULD have been 8, which is a significant difference from what they scored it as. Hopefully they will
update their examples page!

I don’t blame them for getting this sort of thing wrong really – the web is complex, which is why we have a whole four
day class on it and why I usually sit next to someone the whole time to both help them and learn myself every year. But
it also makes you ask the question of whether it is possible to measure technical risk in the way that CVSS claims to
do.

-dave