Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: AI

From: Allen DeRyke <allen.deryke () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 16:07:09 -0400

For the time being I remain skeptical of ML "solutions" to intrusion
detection problems.  In BJJ image processing its fairly simple for
humans to sanity check the results of ML.  Humans are very good at
image processing which means we're pretty going to do a good job
spotting ML errors while working over the training data.  Our ML
progress in the image processing space is a byproduct of our innate
biological adaptations for image processing.

When we start applying ML to problem spaces that humans are not very
good at, we run the risk of implementing solutions that very few
humans can grok.  If you don't have a good grasp on the problem, and
training data where an answer is known, then your ML solution might
just be snake oil 7.0.

What assurance do we have that an intrusion on one persons
infrastructure will "look" anything at all like an intrusion on
another persons infrastructure?

I think the desire to have a magic blinky light appliance in a data
center somewhere will virtually guarantee that ML solutions will be
created, marketed and sold.  After wide scale implementation I think
we'll notice that the dwell time and overall intrusion impacts remain
about the same.

-- Allen Deryke