Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Aviator is more secure than Chrome: Deal with It.

From: antisnatchor <antisnatchor () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 13:29:10 +0100

Are you serious Dave?

I will just leave this here in case you missed it, simply because there
are quite a lot of valid points there imho:
https://github.com/WhiteHatSecurity/Aviator/issues/24

That RCE bug was simply ridiculous, and who knows how many people knew
about it and abused it in the past before Tavis opted for full
disclosure. I don't expect such a bug from "the most secure browser",
which is a rip-off Chromium btw.

Privacy is a different thing.

Cheers
antisnatchor

Dave Aitel wrote:
So the Aviator team (and WhiteHat in general) got a ton of crap about
their patches to Chrome and how they are slower than Google is at
implementing security fixes.

What people didn't point out is that WhiteHat is right: Chrome cannot
provide a secure browser! Google is like a giant beast that sits by the
side of the river Advertising and scoops money with a big fishnet out of
it all day long. But that means that Google cannot do or bear anything
that would at all stop the flow of that river.

Security is one of those things, in so much as some part of security is
giving the user control over their browser. You'll notice the platform
Google controls the most is the one that has the no ability to do ad
blocking: Android.

But privacy is another one of the obvious casualties. As is transparency
into what level of privacy you have.

So let me put it this way: Right now Google has put a ton of money into
hiring the best security experts money can buy. Eventually, like
Microsoft has, they will stop doing this, and that crew will all go
somewhere else. But the fundamental requirements Google has on their
browser platform won't change, and it won't ever be "secure" by a sane
person's definition, if that definition involves being able to filter
content incoming or outgoing.

-dave