Dailydave mailing list archives

copyright office DMCA exemptions rulemaking - looking for input

From: Miles Fidelman <mfidelman () meetinghouse net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 19:54:57 -0500

Hi Folks,

The United States Copyright Office is conducting the sixth triennial rulemaking proceeding under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (“DMCA”) concerning possible exemptions to the DMCA's prohibition against circumvention of technological measures that control access to copyrighted works. (https://federalregister.gov/a/2014-29237)

One of the proposed exemptions is relevant to all of us interested in software security matters. Specifically:

-----
Proposed Class 25: Software—Security Research, to "allow researchers to circumvent access controls in relation to computer programs, databases, and devices for purposes of good-faith testing, identifying, disclosing, and fixing of malfunctions, security flaws, or vulnerabilities."
-----

I seem to find myself leading an effort to draft a statement from the ACM, supporting the exemption - along the lines of: - security and integrity of computer software is critical in a broad variety of areas - voting, SCADA systems, medical systems, etc., etc.
- testing and validating such software is critical and <a good thing>
- as professional computer scientists and engineers, we can't perform such testing and validation under threat of Federal Felony prosecution under the DMCA for violating copyright as part of reverse engineering, penetration testing, and otherwise (attempting to) circumvent protection mechanisms
(obviously, we'll be expanding on that language)

Going beyond motherhood statements, it would be VERY helpful to have some specific examples to cite of research that was not done, for fear of prosecution under DMCA. And it occurs to me that folks on this list might be able to provide such examples.

So... if you have either:
a. published some research that didn't go as far as you'd like, for fear of DMCA violation, and/or b. not performed some research that you consider compelling, for fear of prosecution (or conducted, but not published :-)

Can you send some details my way. Ultimately, what would be most helpful would be personal statements that we can attach to the submission.

Note that time is short - submissions are due on 2/6, and we'll need at least a few days for review, comment, and voting on the final official submission ACM makes.

Thanks very much,

Miles Fidelman