Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Security Paleontology - The Jurassic Park rule

From: William Arbaugh <warbaugh () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 10:11:02 -0400

On Jul 17, 2014, at 9:51 AM, Dave Aitel <dave () immunityinc com> wrote:

I got a bunch of replies that said this:
"""
Dave, enjoyed reading your rant, but I don't understand your punchline on securing data --"but in fact, just to make
it less valuable" - how do you do make data less valuable?
"""

Ultimately, we're suffering from the sins of the early days of information assurance. The focus then, as now, was on
protecting the computers and networks. Instead, the focus should have been on protecting the data.

It's a huge paradigm shift, and one that won't happen easily if at all.