Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Drinking the Cool-aid

From: Joe Gatt <gattjoseph () hotmail com>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 13:06:26 -0500

Authenticated scanners are a bad practice (imho)
Can you expand on this a bit more? I would be interested to hear your opinion as to why you say this. I think using
authenticated scanners is an excellent way to identify:
1.  Computers missed by the patch management process.2.  Effectiveness of patch management process. I've seen patch
products report to the console that a host is patched; however, the scan proved that a given patch failed to apply.3.
Client software not managed and patched by IT (i.e., iTunes)4.  Mis configurations (i.e., Autorun, no SEHOP, no DEP,
etc.).
Joe Gatt@gattjoe