Dailydave mailing list archives

Reverse Engineering Competition Announcement

From: "Halvar Flake" <HalVar () gmx de>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 14:40:45 +0100

Hey all,

since I always fail at formatting my mails properly, I have written a .txt file and attached it here. Below are the
first 20 lines as a teaser:
As a field, reverse engineering has undergone a rapid change in recent years: a rise in importance and visibility has
led to a rapidly growing community of reverse engineers. More people are doing reverse engineering, better tools are
developed, and it has mutated from a "dark art" to an almost-mainstream endeavor.

However, as the community grows, the most visible parts  remain unchanged.
While there are female reverse engineers in the field, they are still underrepresented in absolute numbers and
visibility of their work in conference attendance and presentations.

What can we, as a growing field, do to change this? Progress can be made on the macro level by many small and
decentralized contributions on the micro level. So, when I heard about the Syscan speaker's honorarium this year, I
decided to put it to good use.

I asked a few friends if they'd be willing to form a panel of judges for a
women-only reverse engineering challenge, with the first (and only) prize being a ticket to fly to and attend Syscan
Singapore 2013. Luckily for me, they agreed :-)

So, the details ... (please see the attached .txt file)

Please forward this to everybody that you think might be interested :-)

Cheers,
Halvar