Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Al Qassam and videos on youtube

From: Kyle Maxwell <krmaxwell () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 19:29:28 -0600

Comments inline below.

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 2:16 PM, Dave Aitel <dave () immunityinc com> wrote:

 Of course, the Al Qassam team says they are not Iranian, etc. But their
choice of targets, methodology of proportional response<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJMVtP1CbOM>(a very nation
state concept), hatred of the "Zionists", and high quality
PR-grade English would indicate that they are. Also, Leiberman says they
are, and he, unlike me, gets briefed by DIRNSA.

Given that Senator Lieberman is (tautologically) a politician, the fact
that he receives those briefings does not necessarily imply that his public
statements are at all factual (much less that the IC has reached the
correct conclusion). I'm also not sure that their blog and Pastebin use
high-quality PR-grade English, although it might make things easier on some
of us if they did.

The trick really is that the next step up from DDoS is "Saudi
Aramco"-style rming of an entire bank. But that's a step the Iranians (and
dudes, correct me if I'm wrong :>) don't really want to take. If we do see
that happen, my guess is that we'll see it against a very small bank
initially, as a proof of concept. Then the scary times start.

The next step up from a DDOS isn't "rm -rf /all/your/base" - there are a
number of intermediate steps that can be taken short of that, should QCF
(or, well, anybody) decide to escalate. As Arrigo points out, there are
interesting data dumps that can happen. Wikileaks has shown how big of a
deal the .gov/.mil people can make from those sorts of disclosures (and
.com too, to be fair).

Also, obligatory relevant XKCD (there's ALWAYS a relevant XKCD):
http://xkcd.com/932/

--
Kyle Maxwell [krmaxwell () gmail com]
http://www.xwell.org