Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: On scoops, and .... stuff.

From: Richard Thieme <rthieme () thiemeworks com>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 11:41:14 -0500

I am seconding Mister Geer's remarks as people who deeply understand our vulnerabilities may not like the "Pearl Haror" metaphor but do appreciate the threat and the seriousness it represents to our infrastructure. There are serious threats from bio and cyber alike and they are not trivial. The actualization of the threat is contingent on political, military and economic contextual factors, not the offhand dismissal of a term with a smirk.

Asked what keeps me awake at night at a recent conference, I could only say that a technologist at the CIA told me he can't sleep, reading the intercepts, and appreciating what people are in fact attempting to do. Trying to stay one step ahead of those plans is why all means are used to understand various enemies and therefore it is irrelevant which party or president is shown the daily briefing, his/her response will always be, do whatever you can to prevent this. We live in a world without walls, and this means: do whatever is necessary. What-EVER is necessary.

As a sound thinker added: we may have to destroy freedom in order to save it. (we have always taken that road perhaps but in digital worlds, we are taking that road, squared).

Group-think is not helpful for analysis regardless of the group in which it occurs. And what is really wrong with the Pearl Harbor metaphor is that Pearl Harbor refers only to a sneak attack on Hawaii. That span of ocean no longer protects any country. And MAD works only with actors equally "rational" as to upsides and downsides.

governmentdan () geer org wrote:
 > The point is that it could have been a lot worse for
 > Saudi Aramco. It could have been a total loss, and
 > everyone on every side knows it.

Yes.

The snarky response of much of the Digerati to
Panetta's trundling out of "Cyber Pearl Harbor"
and other near-cliches is unhelpful if Panetta's
remarks are based not on armchair risk assessment
but rather on the results of experiments that will
not be reported.  If true, then events like the
Aramco event provide a chance to use a non-secret
body of information to hint at bodies of information
for which the non-secret event is, effectively, a
public confirmation of what can otherwise only be
hinted at.

Thus I am sure that you, too, eagerly await the
mandated universality of electronic health records